Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Penang International Chess Open 2009


A FIDE rated tournament was held at Penang from 10Jun -14Jun 2009. This tournament is my 3rd rated tournament join since 2006. To be honest,this time I din really prepare for this tournament. But due to my unexpected win over Eu Hong and fadli,I really do prepare for my last game against Mark Siew and eventually I won the match and get 6th place. Here is my brief anlysis on my 9 rounds game. 1st Round: Black against Nicholas Chong, one of my junior.During the game,I was manage to hold the position which I had material advantage although my king is not in a very safety position. When I think the game should be finish as a win for me,I simply make a move which cost me a lost. Wat a blunder i had make. Being checkmated by my junior without knowing it.Shame! haiz..

2nd Round: White against Ahmad Fahmi.Is a quite easy win for me as I just waiting him to make mistake and win the game.

3rd Round: Black against William Lee. If I not mistaken,he is just 10 years old and I see he got potential to be one of the leading player in Penang. I won in a Rook+3pawns vs Rook+1pawn ending.

4th Round: White against Swee Leong. He got 4th placing in this tournament. In this game,I play quite passively and soon lose the game.Din give any challenge to him also.

5th Round: Black against Lee Chan Tung. In a Sicilian Najdorf Opening,he make a calculation mistake which he sacrifice his knight for 2 pawns.After that,he make a series of mistake and he resign in just 24 moves.

6th Round: White against Eu Hong. 9th seeded for this event. In a semi-slav opening,he make a mistake in his opening and I manage to transfer his mistake to a very favourable position for me which I have all the initiative and chances to win the game.

7th Round: White against Mohd Fadli.8th seeded and also coach for UIAM. I beat him twice b4 that. And this time,I manage to outplayyed his stone wall and score a perfect 3/3 100% over him.

8th Round: Black against IM Mas Hafizulhelmi. He is currently Malaysia No.1 player and 2nd seed for this tournament.In this game,I spend too much time in the opening and my position looks bad for me which force me to sacrifice a Rook for Knight + pawn.In the middle game,he play a inconsistent move,and if I play Bf6 for my next move, the game will be more favour to me.But,I play a wrong move and soon lost the game. A lesson learned after play with a International Master.Worth it!

9th Round: White against Mark Siew,Perak top junior player now. This round is very crucial for me as if I want to be in Top-10 for this event,I have to win the game. A Do or Die game! Finally, I manage to outplayed him in Benko Gambit which I prepare for one night and thus win the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment